10/22/11

Check out my cute Halloween Tulle Wreath!

   This is my second project of my creative Halloween kick, and don't you just love it... I sure do!  I've seen tulle wreaths as I've scoured around the internet before and I've always thought they were so cute.  Recently I saw a wreath that was all black with some orange flowers and a black bird.  I thought the idea was really great and just perfect for Halloween, but I also wanted to take my own spin on the wreath.  I love the color purple and since purple can be kinda 'witchy' I added it to the typical Halloween palette of black and orange to spice it up and give it some color.  I also made my wreath a little 'fluffier' than some of the ones I've seen.  I am so pleased with how it turned out and once again, it was pretty cheap! I'm pretty sure I'll be making one for Christmas soon as well!


So if you think you might like to make one as well, here is what I did:
-I bought some tulle just at the fabric store.  Sadly I did it the hard way and bought it by the yard being totally oblivious to the fact that I could buy it by the spool! Still works ok, just takes A LOT longer!
So if you're silly like me, or maybe if it's cheaper to buy by the yard and you have the time, you'll need roughly 4 yards of tulle (I bought my tulle for $1.49/yard at Joann's)
  • I used 2 yards of black, and 1 yard each of purple and orange. If you buy by the spool, I think you'll need about 50-55 yards
  • I cut the tulle into 10"x6" strips (this is where tulle by the spool comes in handy)
  • I cut roughly 84 strips of black, 48 strips of orange, and 54 strips of purple (don't quote me, my math may be wrong)
-To make the wreath a little fluffier, I bought a wire wreath ring instead of the foam wreath ring which I've seen so many wreaths use, and did a double layer.

-I tied each strip using a slipknot and pulled the ends of the strips through the front to fluffify. Of course you can pattern the colors any way you like, but this is the pattern I used:
  • for the outer ring: p, b, b, o, b, p, b, o, p, p, o, b, p, b, o, b, b, repeat
  • for the inner ring: p, b, o, b, p, b, o, p, o, b, p, b, o, b, repeat   (p=purple, b=black, o=orange)
-I continued tying all the strips until I covered the entire ring.  You may use more or less strips depending on how loose or tight you want your knots together. I'd say mine were fairly tight.

To finish the wreath up I tied a cute orange bow on the front just to class it up a little, but with it being Halloween you could really get away with anything, just make it as cute, whimsical, or ghoully as you like!

No comments:

Post a Comment