12/6/11

My latest craft

So I have literally seen these yarn wreaths all over the place on Pinterest. They are so cute and simple and can be made for nearly every holiday so it's no wonder why they are so popular! When I first saw one, I just knew that I'd have to make one. So here it is...
I love my wreath! I really feel like it adds the perfect finishing touch to outdoor facade of my house. Now I posted this mainly just to show off my spin on the Christmas yarn wreath. There are literally thousands of ways you could make your own, so I'll post just a very simplified tutorial for how I did mine.
Supplies needed: foam wreath ring, yarn, felt, hot glue gun, a couple of hours

 1) Take your wreath ring and start wrapping your yarn. Since I used two different colors of yarn, I started by measuring out how wide each section would be, marking it on the ring with a pen. This ensures that the sections would be evenly sized and also that there will be an equal amount of the two different colors. My wreath was 42" round so I made 14 sections that were 3" each (7 red, 7 white) Make sure you're pulling your yarn taught as you go. To tie up loose ends, I just simply wrapped them up as I went.

Here's a good look at the felt flowers
2) Add felt flowers with a hot glue gun. To make your own flowers, simply cut out five petal shapes for each flower. With each petal, sew thread across the bottom in an up-down-up-down pattern. Then again to the next petal, continuing with the same thread until you have all five petals on the thread. Then simply pull the thread to scrunch up the petals together to make a flower. (I know, I know, these instructions aren't the best. I really should have taken pictures of the process, but I wasn't originally planning on blogging instructions for the wreath so I didn't...sorry. You can, however, find helpful video tutorials on this very easily)

3) Hang your wreath using a ribbon
 Once again, sorry this isn't a great tutorial, but this project is really easy anyways, just give it a try and you'll be able to figure it out.  I hope I may have at least given you an idea. In the future I'll be sure to take more photos :)

No comments:

Post a Comment